We decided we had to do something to try to save them. We took a Whipped Topping container and nailed it to the crotch of the tree about 7' up. We realized this wasn't an ideal spot for the nest but it was the best we could do.
Husband then, with gloves, picked up the baby birds and gently placed them in the nest which he then placed into the Whipped Topping container.
It didn't take long for the mother to discover her babies and she and the adult male are tending to the babies nicely.
At first the adult robins were skittish about my husband and I being in our own back yard but now they are trusting us knowing we are not going to harm their little ones.
Maybe it was because my husband said to them. " Who the heck do you think saved your babies and put them up the tree for you".
It has been 3 days and so far all are doing well. They are a pleasure to watch.